Blissology Project: Day 5 – Friday, January 26th
This is Day 5 of our two weeks to Commit to Bliss. The Blissology Project will run from Monday, January 22nd until Sunday, February 4th 2018.
It is all about making happiness a habit and creating an Upward Spiral of positivity in our lives through the 6 Big Easy Bliss Commitments.
We hope you’re beginning to feel lighter and full of more vitality after the Day 4 Bliss Commitments. Lets carry this energy forward into Day 5!
Today’s Bliss Commitments are:
Yoga poses to be included in today’s practices are:
- Prayer Twist Lunge (Parivrtta Anjaneyasana)
- Forearm Plank
- Seated Forward Fold (Paschimottanasana)
Bonus: Revitalize your spirit with Blissologist Donna Williams in her Commit to Bliss Day 5 practice.
Don’t forget to share any photos on social media using hashtags #blissologyproject + #blissarmy + #upwardspiral
Enjoy a grounding Let’s Breathe Meditation with Blissologist Chloe Markham to feel awesome about your day!
- Look at the stars. Take a few minutes to really absorb the grand nature of the universe and the influence it has in your life. Contemplate the notion that we are all born of stardust.
- Don’t forget to share any photos on social media using hashtag #blissologyproject + #natureappreciation
Healing Ayurvedic Dal
This is a very simple recipe, one I grew up eating almost daily in India. Do not be alarmed by the spices. There are two stages to cooking dal. In the first, you cook the lentils with a few spices until soft. Then you heat oil to make a tempering, which adds flavor to the cooked lentils. I’ve offered some more suggestions to get creative as well. I will add that dal should not be a gloppy mush, which is something I’ve encountered in many places in the west. It should be soupy and thin and be able to be poured easily over rice. With the combination of grains and lentils, this is a complete, whole food and I hope you find it delicious.
½ cup split yellow mung dal, or the reddish-orange tuvar dal / lentils you find easily in most grocery stores
1 ½ cups water
½ tsp turmeric powder
8 – 10 fenugreek seeds
fresh cilantro leaves to garnish
Himalayan pink salt to taste
For the tempering:
1 ½ tsp ghee, or coconut oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
a pinch of asafoetida powder (this is an ingredient you can find at an Indian market or an ayurvedic market)
5 – 6 curry leaves
2 green chiles (if you don’t mind a little spice).
- Rinse the lentils well, until water runs clean. Cook in water along with turmeric and fenugreek until it reaches a soft consistency. Blend until mostly smooth. You can also use a potato masher to soften the dal more.
- In a separate wok or frying pan, heat the ghee or oil for the tempering, which is what adds flavor to the dal.
- Add the cumin and as it crackles, the asafoetida, curry leaves and chiles.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the cooked dal and salt. Add some water so the dal reaches a soupy consistency. Allow it to simmer for 5 – 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve fresh along some cooked basmati or brown rice and a small green salad..
A few other suggestions:
You can add some sliced onion at the tempering stage, along with some thinly sliced ginger and garlic and let this mixture cook with the cumin and tempering spices for a few minutes before adding the cooked lentils. You can also add some fresh spinach leaves to this dal. Add them when the dal is very hot, before you take it off the stove. A lovely accompaniment to this dal is a lightly dressed green salad with fresh radishes and grated carrots etc.
- Don’t forget to share any photos on social media using hashtag #blissologyproject + #highpranafood
- Practice saying, “Thank you!” As you go about your day offer thanks to people any chance you have. Thank your bus driver. Give thanks to your partner for folding the laundry. The possibilities to offer thanks are limitless!
- Plant something today and name your plant. If the ground is too cold go out and buy a new house plant to bring some positive vibes into your life.
Don’t forget to Share your experience with the 6 Big Easy Bliss Commitments in the Global Blissology Project event page.
“Happiness is Best when Shared.”
Have fun and enjoy the journey to awakening a deep joy within you!